Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Men's Grooming

Several years ago, when I went to makeup school, they taught us a ridiculous "corrective male makeup". It was a very old school technique of applying foundation, cheek color, and even mascara and lipstick. I remember the first time I did a man's makeup was for an industrial shoot. I really wanted to do a good job, so I broke out my notes from class and began to apply makeup the way I was taught. I have to laugh now, because looking back he looked like a girl! The reality is that men's grooming (or makeup) should be as little as possible. Your job is to make sure he looks clean cut, awake, and his best. This means you should only apply makeup where its needed. Make sure his eyebrows are groomed, his lips are moist, and there aren't any visible dark circles or blemishes. Most men will tell what they want and that is, "as little as possible". Mostly this means you are there to powder them and make sure their hair isn't sticking up. That's a far cry from the "corrective male makeup" they taught me in school. My best advice is to understand what medium you are working in and ask your talent what they feel comfortable with.

Makeup Maverick
http://www.hmartistsnetwork.com
http://www.mymakeupart.com

No comments: