Thursday, July 31, 2008

Getting Paid by Delinquent Clients

I recently have had the joy of having two invoices over 90 days overdue for payment. I have called the client, begged them, threatened them, and everything else that you imagine. So what do you do when you work a job and they don’t want to pay you? I can’t exactly just brush it off. They owe me $1000.00! As freelance artists it’s bad enough that we live from paycheck to paycheck, but why do we have to fight them for the money they owe us? I have rent to pay and my landlord isn’t going to understand that I’m owed the rent money! I’m not a large corporation with a high-end attorney, so what exactly are my options for getting paid?

Then I discovered prepaid legal. What exactly is prepaid legal, might you ask? Basically, it’s like insurance for legal services. I selected a plan that is only $16.00 a month! For that amount I have legal advice at my fingertips as well as identity theft protection. They can also draft legal documents, and even send over a nasty letter to clients who refuse to pay. So now, if the client doesn’t pay me the $1000.00 in seven days they will be hearing from my attorney! Let’s see how seriously they take me then. Personally, I think it’s worth every penny! It sure beats not getting paid.

If you want to learn more about prepaid legal, check out www.hmartistsnetwork.com/legal_prepaidlegal

No comments: